Holy Priest - Xrealm

Please read the manual how to apply first.

Moderator: Class officer

Sanct

Holy Priest - Xrealm

Post by Sanct »

Personal Information

Name of said deviant: Paul Burns
Country of Birth: Scotland
D.O.B: 06/01/1983

Character Information

Character

Class: Priest
Main Spec: Holy
Off Spec: Shadow

Links

Armory
Wow-heroes

Raiding Information

TBC Content

Karazhan: º
Zul'Aman: º
SSC: º
Mount Hyjal: º
Tempest Keep: x
Black Temple: x
Sunwell Plateau: x

WOTLK Content

Naxxramas 10: º
Naxxramas 25: º
OS10 3D: º
OS25 1D: º
EoE10: º
EoE25: º
Ulduar 10: 13/14 (Algalon remaining)
Ulduar 25: 7/14
ICC 10: 12/13 (LK remaining)
ICC 25: 6/13
ICC HC 10: Not attempted.
ICC HC 25: Not attempted.

Guild Experience:

Realm: Defias Brotherhood

Arthas Requiem: First raiding guild in WoW. TBC raiding up to MH. Left due to inactivity.

Einherjar: Formed a 10 man guild with RL mates. Disbanded to allow members to pursue 25 man raiding.

Beyond The Limitation: Reformed after previous RL mates asked to reform. Disbanded due to server move.

Realm: Daggerspine

Vortex: Asked to join a college mate's guild whom required a competent healer. Sadly, they got me. Due to the GM leaving WoW, left to reform BTL with old RL mates whom joined me from DB.

Beyond The Limitation: Progressed through 10 man ICC content before merging with Eminence to make the current guild, Solstice.

Solstice: Current raiding guild. ICC 25 primarily, main healing the current content. Sadly, due to a lack of signups and people taking sabbaticals from the game, we are reduced to 10 man content, with few signups for that content as well.

Why Ubiquity?

With Sanct, you gain a solid raider whom is attentive, alert, with good reaction time and most importantly, patient. I spend a good amount of time familiarising myself with encounters beforehand, both trash and the boss, to ensure that I'm aware of any threats posed by upcoming mobs/bosses.
It goes without saying that I bring buffs, both flasks and food, to raids at all times.
I also feel that, it's imperative that you know a lot about your class, however take time to learn about the classes around you, to improve your knowledge and to learn the limitations of those around you.

The question is though, why Ubiquity? Rather simple really. Casting my mind back to the raiding days of Defias Brotherhood, there were always guilds whom were up there competing at the top. Most have fallen by the way side, but Ubiquity were always up there, quietly plugging away at the top end game content doing it in their own style and how. Now, that I feel that I have attained the adequate experience to even be considered for such an end game guild, I felt it was right to ask the question of Ubiquity and to see where I stood.

I understand that there will be a few raised eyebrows as there will be answers that are in the same vein as Zabii's. This would be due to the fact he was one of those RL mates whom joined me on my escapades through WoW.

Any other questions, please feel free to ask.

- Paul
Bussy

Re: Holy Priest - Xrealm

Post by Bussy »

Thx for your application Paul. We'll take a look, might ask few questions and give you answer before next ID reset. =)
Sanct

Post by Sanct »

Thanks for the prompt reply Bussy. I'd say I'd be looking forward to the grilling session that could be coming my way, but it's the only way to sort out the men from the grinders.
Bussy

Post by Bussy »

Let's start with few easy questions. There are many types of healers available and what do you think makes holy priest a really good choice for 25-man raid.
Since I personally know only very little about priest healing in general, could u fill me in little bit. How does priests handle raid and/or tank healing?
What separates bad/good/exceptionally good healers? What do you think is key for very good healing?

- Bussy
Sanct

Post by Sanct »

Q. There are many types of healers available and what do you think makes holy priest a really good choice for 25-man raid.

A. With the introduction of WotLK and indeed newer content such as ICC, Holy Priests are starting to become more of a necessity rather than a commodity. The raid healing capability that these healers With the various buffs applied to renew and indeed the increase in spellpower available for healers, there are very few situations where the healing "rotation": PoM, CoH, Renew, FL, PoH can't solve.
Take for example Festergut. An effective holy priest can pre-empt a variety of the heals incoming by continuing to keep PoM on cooldown, effective use of CoH on melee DPS and Renew on both the tanks to assist the tank healers and those affected by Vile Gas. Those whom require any more can simply receive a FL to top those people off. With my spec, I place a Lightwell in the position where the ranged would gather for spore to allow those at ranged to effectively heal themselves with the Lightwell.
The reasons above as well as the healing outline for a holy priest for Festergut illustrate just how much a holy priest can bring, not including of course Divine Hymn (Inner Focus proc) for those situations that simply require it, Hymn of Hope for those situations that require not only you, but other people requiring the mana and of course, Guardian Spirit.

Q. How does priests handle raid and/or tank healing?

A. In regards to raid healing, there are variants of the said strategy outlined above depending on of course the healing style of the player involved. What it boils down to however is effective use of PoM, CoH, FL, Renew (If the player utilises said spell) and PoH. Holy can indeed tank heal, however due to subsequent nerfs, our viability to carry out that role was diminished. It doesn't mean however we can't assist healers in doing so, we simply don't get the same amount of return for GH spam.
Tank healing is where we find the other variant of priest, Discipline, truly coming into their own. Disc's effectiveness comes from their ability to mitigate damage taken by that person through Power Word: Shield. Healing can be facilitated through Penance which applies the talent, Grace. If Grace is indeed, 2/2, that increases the healing done on that person by the priest by 9%. In situations that indeed involve heavy tank damage (Festergut, Putricide, Sindragosa etc.), that 9% twinned with other talents, assist the healing to no end. Effective use of PoM and indeed FL and GH assist in the healing of said bereft of health individual.

Q. What separates bad/good/exceptionally good healers? What do you think is key for very good healing?

A. Healing is role that not everyone can simply walk into and immediately become good at straight away. Time is something you require to become comfortable with what it requires to be a healer in the various stages that Blizzard throw at the raiding community. However for me, for a healer to be classed as good or even exceptional, it requires that person to have a bit more about them.
Take myself as a case in point.
An example; We are coming up to Sindragosa, an encounter that requires a lot of raid movement and co-ordination between those involved. As a healer, I have to be not only aware of the environmental damage that occurs throughout the fight, the mechanics that Sindragosa employs throughout P1, P2 and P3 and indeed being continuously aware of what is happening around you to pre-empt the oncoming damage.
For example, you can see those whom are about to be hit by Ice Blocks during P2 and P3. There is no reason why, before the ice block lands, you can't throw a renew onto the person to ensure that they are healed upon being freed from the ice block.
As stated, anyone can heal, but those whom are good and indeed exceptional, do things that are above and beyond what is expected of them. The raid leader can simply carry on with his role of raid leading with no worry on how the healing is being carried out, as he/she knows that the role is being carried out effectively, always.possess make them a incredible asset to any raiding guild, both 10 and 25 man alike. The reasoning for this lies in the very spells they can utilise to keep people alive.
Môurn
Guild Leader

Post by Môurn »

hi sanct,

thank you for your patience. vintoran will give you an answer shortly!

best regards,
funny how there is always so much month left at the end of the money
Sanct

Post by Sanct »

Not a problem Mourn. Figured you may need more time given the novels I wrote in reply to the "easy" questions ;)
Vintoran
Class-Officer

Post by Vintoran »

Sorry for the long wait, but we have decided that we will decline your application, because we have a lot of active healers at the moment.
Good luck finding another guild.
Mancher wird nie süss, er fault im Sommer schon. Feigheit ist es, die ihn an seinem Aste festhält.
Sanct

Post by Sanct »

Not a problem Vintoran.

Thanks for taking time to review the app and I wish you all well in your future endeavours, both in ICC and Cataclysm.