Vorista Zaga'torn - Mage

Please read the manual how to apply first.

Moderator: Class officer

Vorista

Vorista Zaga'torn - Mage

Post by Vorista »

Hi there everyone!

Character name
Vorista Zaga’torn

Class
Mage

Race
Troll

Spec
20/51/0 (Still going with fire since it was needed to keep someone who could scorch, haha)

Gear
Giving you my armory link:
http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet ... Last+Stand

Guild you’re in now / guild you were in before (reasons you left)
Right! I got the info here, let’s see…

The Marrow
Strictly a roleplaying guild in the beginning of my level up days. Nothing really interesting going on there, we just had fun and went an instance or two sometimes.
It was around December 2006 that I joined them and I left when the guild broke up.
The Bloodwatch Legion
This is another roleplaying guild with more WPvP based influences that I happened to join after finding out more about it. Was a nice place, we had some really good moments and we were pretty much a friendly community that didn’t focus on much but WPvP.
I think I joined them February 2007 and left due to me getting bitten by the ‘raid bug’.
Burning Dawn
Aah, this guild was a classic. I joined them after hearing that they had both roleplaying and a constant PvE oriented community. We weren’t many in the guild but we had fun and it was with them that I got my first taste of raiding even though we mostly just raided Karazhan. Made a couple of great friends here and it was a bit heart-touching to leave the guild, but I left due to some mishaps with the guildleader. If you want to know more in detail, feel free to ask. It wasn’t that dramatic.
I joined them around, err...June in 2007.
Violent Noise
Not much to say here at all to be fair, since the day after I got invited to the guild, they decided to disband the guild and reform under the banner known as ‘The Redeemed’. So I was only there for literally a day.
Think it was around March 2008.
Conquest
The guild I have been a part of for about a year and a half. This guild had it all, excellent PvE focus along with PvP and RP. Everything in a nice package along with an excellent community. During my long stay here, I have raided pretty much everything WoW has to offer and I have played a part in many of our first boss kills such as Lady Vashj, Archimonde, Illidan and in the latest expansion, Sarth 3D and Malygos and...well, the list goes on. I have had my best WoW experiences in this guild and I will never forget the times when I recorded the boss battles to turn them into epic movies and hear those screams when we finally got the boss down after weeks of wiping. It was glorious, tell the truth.
Sadly though, all things must come to an end and as such, Conquest chose to disband just two days ago and reform along with Crimson Tide in a guild called Phase Two. I was not invited along with them, except only if I was content with being a mere social in the guild and not a raider. I suppose a year and a half of service didn’t get me far...but nevermind that. If you want to know something more in detail, do ask and I will try my best in answering.
It was probably April 2008 that I joined them.
Last Stand
Ah yes, Last Stand. I applied here and got accepted into the guild after Conquest had disbanded and from what I could see, things were going pretty okay. They had dedicated people, a friendly atmosphere and a good guildleader as well.
But as I logged on this morning, I could see on our forums that Elsah is going to disband Last Stand this coming Sunday seeing as we have lost too many core people and he wishes to remember Last Stand as how it was, not what it is turning into. So uhm, this leaves me without a guild once again. Not much else I can say really.
I have not even been in the guild for two months, hehe. I joined up in late August 2009.

That should conclude my guild history!

Why do you want to apply to us
I’ve had several good friends that’s been part of your guild during the days and they had a lot of good things to say about you. I have someone who is part of your guild right now (Hi Keall!) and as far as I know, you’re one of the best. I’d like to be part of this and show all of you what I can do and contribute with. Some say ‘bring the player, not the class’, well then I can say that even if you may have the mages you need I will do my very best to show that someone like me can also get things done.
I’ll do my best!

What do you think you can bring to us
I think that during my years of playing WoW, I have managed to become quite competent with my class and that I am able to do fairly good DPS because of this. I’m also a person that keeps trying to be as good as possible, which makes me read up about mages and ask a lot of questions about specs and ‘if this is better than that when considering those’ sort of things. It’s constant work but that’s what you have to do if you want to remain good and have an acceptable DPS.
I’d also be able to bring my alchemy and herbalism skills if those would be necessary in any way, haha.

Only apply if you can raid at days / hours we’re raiding
I should be able to raid all of your days.

Additional info
Hello there people! My name is Stefan, 20 years old, turning 21 in December and I currently live with my folks back here in Sweden. I’m a person that has played a couple of MMORPGs during my time but these days I have kept myself to WoW seeing as I think it’s the best one out there. I’ve tried out Tibia, Knight Online, Runescape and I even played Maplestory a short time.
At this day, I’m unemployed and have been so ever since April 1st since I kind of lost it due to the financial crisis. Ever since, I’ve tried to get a new one but things aren’t looking up as there are a ton of others out there who have better qualifications. I’m a chef by the way ;)

One of my passions outside of WoW has been roleplay and I also really enjoy reading fantasty novels as well as I write a little on a few of my own. I’ve always loved writing and reading ever since I began school when I was 6 years old, and it has stuck with me ever since. I’m now currently working on a project that will explain my WoW characters background story. So far it’s 40 pages long and climbing, haha.

I try to be a person that always help others with things they need doing, so whenever one of my rl friends need some assistance with something, I’m usually there to help. Or other times I can take my car and drive to one of them and we hang out in a Chinese restaurant! I love that kind of food, especially if it’s spicy.
I can’t cook it very well myself though. I’m just comfortable with more Swedish oriented food, hrrm.

Some other info that you need to know as well:
On November 3rd, I am getting a visit from a person living in the UK and she is going to stick around for a month. During this time, I will most likely not be online in WoW seeing as I want to spend time with her. She’s coming from the UK after all, haha. So if you would accept my application and take me into your fold, just keep this in mind that I will probably be inactive for the entire November.
There. That should straighten out that question!

Oh right! I almost forgot. The WWS reports and such. Here you are:
http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e326/ ... 121824.jpg

That should sum everything up pretty nicely. Thanks for looking at my application! Hope it was fun for you to read.
If you got anymore questions, don’t be afraid to poke me in the game.

~Vorista~
Cibee
Class-Officer

Re: Vorista Zaga'torn - Mage

Post by Cibee »

Hello Vorista,

thanks for your application. I'll have a closer look in the evening. Few things I noticed at a glance.
1. Nobody likes Dalaran Brilliance
2. I usually have problems finding spots in my bars for important things (and I'm using a bar mod), you even have all the teleports and portals in the standard UI, yet I see no potions of speed or wild magic. Aren't you using them or are you "doing a Schmauser", as we call it - open your bags mid fight and right click the pots there? =)
3. Some gemming choices are a bit off. With the needed purple gems for example you chose to go for 2x +5 SP, where you could have had +7 or even +9 in other items. I'd also socket an orange gem in your boots as another example, going for SP/haste naturally.

Anyway, I'll get back to you later!
superuberpwneristic expialidocious
Saddim

Post by Saddim »

Sadly though, all things must come to an end and as such, Conquest chose to disband just two days ago and reform along with Crimson Tide in a guild called Phase Two

now now that can't be correct? :lol:
Vorista

Post by Vorista »

Greetings Cibee! Thanks for taking a glance at the application =)

1. Ah yes, the ever so fabled Dalaran Brilliance. I mostly use it on myself though, since it usually doesn't show up on Grid. Other times I use it in instances just for fun, hehe. But in raids I stick to Arcane Brilliance.

2. Schmauser? I'm sad to say that I have never heard of the term, haha. But yes, I always keep a stack of them in my bags along with different sorts of pots. Depending on the fight, I either use the Speed or the Wild Magic or even a Mana one as I've experienced fights where I went oom after using Evocation, 3 ticks off the Mana Gem and a Mana pot. But on say Steelbreaker, I'd use a Wild Magic pot instead. In that case, I just open up the bag, use it and close the bag again.
So yes, I am 'doing a Schmauser' :P

3. Ah yes, the gems might be a bit off at this time. Suffice to say, I haven't been able to look into them that much other then 'red gem, spellpower, go' but not to worry! I'm working on it.

~Vorista~

P.S. Darn it, I knew I had forgotten something! Of course it wasn't two days ago but it was two days ago when I added it to my guild history. Silly me =P
Thanks for pointing it out though ^^
Varanor
Class-Officer

Post by Varanor »

Vorista wrote:Schmauser?
http://www.filefront.com/14192143/schma ... illed.wmv/

So many people who don't know the legend of The Schmauser. :(
Tzobee

Post by Tzobee »

\o/

I have played with this guy in both TBC heroics and in WotlK on both Tzobee and secret alts and he is a friendly and good player.

Cheers.
Nazelus

Post by Nazelus »

Strong application and I have to say I'm quite impresed. I think I remember you from BD (was there in TBC with Bloodspring, my ex main, maybe the name tells you something), not sure. Anyway, as we have only 2 active mages on the rooster and considering your raiding experience and guild history I'd say you'd be a good adition to us. Good luck with your application! :)
/Naz

Keall

Post by Keall »

Vouch... nice person and a great player know this guy since TBC (SSC/TK times) been in Conquest together and we're good friends still. 8)

Best luck with your application :D
Cibee
Class-Officer

Post by Cibee »

I wasn't actually too serious about the Dalaran Brilliance, but people actually are trained to see the AI icon with a glance.

Overall quite solid application. The biggest doubts I get from looking at your bars and the lack of keybinds on alot of spells. I would for example never, or rarely, find the time to actually click something like fireward - which is a spell I prefer to cast while moving. Other important things like Amp aren't even in your bars at all - or did you have a dedicated Amper in Last Stand? Do you use macros in raids for anything, if so which and what for?

You mention you have been the scorch monkey lately, what would you spec now if you could rely on a demo lock being in the raid?

I'd really get rid of all those portals in your bars you use once in a blue moon and put useful stuff there like flame caps and speed pots.
Vorista

Post by Vorista »

Thanks everyone for the lovely comments =)
And hello to you Cibee!

Ah, some doubts about my keybinds and such? Well, let me explain what I usually do then when it comes to those.
I do have a couple of spells keybinded to certain letters in order for me not to pull a 'Schmauser' as you called it earlier. Depending on the boss fight, I switch them around a bit. Say for example that the fight requires me to use Fire Ward. Then I switch it to a keybind on my bars. Or maybe I need to decurse a lot? No problem, in that case I switch that particular spell over to my keybinds also.
And if a fight requires several of these things to be done, I always manage to find a way to get through it since I can always keybind the important spells to something more 'easier to reach' rather than using my mouse and clicking on it.

I use macros also, but it's mostly simple ones such as /target /cast spell since in some fights it helps if you can just click a button and it targets the thing you want automatically. Another is also one for example when facing against Faction Champions and you want to sheep as quickly as possibly so you assign a macro to the one you have set on focus and then merely press the macro and there you go.
That's usually the ones I have.

Amplify Magic is the same thing. If it's needed for the fight, I open up the spellbook and replace a spell in my bars and then I change it whenever the situation gets different, hehe.
I know it's not the best way of doing things, there are certainly easier ways. But so far, I've managed to kind of grow into it and now I'm using the keybinds I got like a second glove.

About the spec. Well, we discussed this a lot in Last Stand during my stay actually and while two of the mages in a raid switched to Arcane, I remained Fire to see what kind of difference it would prove to be. As we could see that particular raid, it wasn't that big of a difference seeing as Living Bomb made up a lot for my spec and allowed me to still remain in the top of the DPS, even above the two Arcane mages at one point.
We concluded in the end that if you have enough hit, stay Fire. If you don't, go Arcane.

We didn't take Scorch into consideration much but seeing as we didn't have a demo lock in the raid at that time, I guess that speaks for itself. But the question has still lingered though and I've checked a few sites to see what exactly is the best spec. Fire can vary a bit depending on the randomness of crits and hotstreaks, surely. On shorter fights Arcane has a tendency to have a bit of an advantage. But both specs are close to each other in DPS (in theory) however I would most likely change to Arcane anyway seeing as the damage there isn't as random and it feels more secure to have.

And yes, I'd remove some of my things there on the bars if I go Arcane to make room for other, more important things =)

Okay! I hope that sums up your questions. If you got more or if you want me to go into more detail about something, don't be afraid to do so!

~Vorista~
Cibee
Class-Officer

Post by Cibee »

Thanks for the explanations. Even though you won't be around during November as you said I will grant you a trial spot. Whisper me in-game please.
Vorista

Post by Vorista »

Will do, Cibee! Thanks =)

~Vorista~